Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: A8 port size

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah i agree entirely. As a former projectionist.
    These speakers were designed for cinema app.
    And starting in the 80's we had processors and the theaters were RTA for acoustics.

    Even if used in concert type app. RTA is an essential tool.

    God you don't see "on the JBL forum" people complaining about their Cinema products. So what's the deal on this site.

    Leave the VOTT alone and buy yourself a model 19 18 ,17 ,15 ,14 .The Home stuff.

    .....................

  2. #22
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It takes surprisingly-low leakage to offset tuning. Unglued butt joints alone can do it. Hard to imagine a box with a hole in it would care that much, but it does.

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2006
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    God you don't see "on the JBL forum" people complaining about their Cinema products. So what's the deal on this site.

    Leave the VOTT alone and buy yourself a model 19 18 ,17 ,15 ,14 .The Home stuff.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm sorry to have irked you, Convergence (it feels strange calling people by pseudonyms).

    In ealier A8 threads people spoke of it as a decent hifi speaker vs the A7, one of the reasons I followed my project to completion. I find it so too, and was curious to see if tweaking the port might give it some oomph. I think I've gotten over my head as I don't know what RTA means, for example, so I'll let the subject drop and thank you all for your time.

    Jon

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by CONVERGENCE:

    God you don't see "on the JBL forum" people complaining about their Cinema products. So what's the deal on this site.

    Leave the VOTT alone and buy yourself a model 19 18 ,17 ,15 ,14 .The Home stuff.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greets!

    Who's complaining? All I've read/responded to are some reasonable questions to better understand how to get the most performance out of the A8. VOTs and some other Altec prosound speakers have their place in HIFI apps, including the A8, you just have to understand their strong/weak performance points to best integrate them into a truly high performance, wide BW system.

    Indeed, the A8 is a better choice overall than the more popular A7 as it requires much less tweaking and easier to integrate sub and/or super tweeter systems if desired.

    GM

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by aeyb701:

    ......(it feels strange calling people by pseudonyms).

    I think I've gotten over my head as I don't know what RTA means.........
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greets!

    You're welcome!

    Yeah, me neither, especially the more ridiculous and/or offensive ones. Anyway, when reading these forums you have to pick through the posts for useful info and either just ignore the rest or make an effort to educate yourself enough to make a more informed decision on the validity of the various claims.

    RTA = Real Time Analyzer.

    GM

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2006
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks both of you:

    I will leave the A8 as is and put them back in the corners or along a wall. They WOULD look great among bookshelves as they're about as deep, just not your typical bookshelf speaker!

    I got a pair of M19 xovers on eBay and may see what they're like in the A8's-I wonder if that's been tried?

    On to new things though, like finding or building good cab's. for recently gotten 604C's, one which is at GPA getting reconed (the other was fine).

    Also tinkering with biamping my A7 clones/515-8G/511B/802-8G once I get a decent active crossover.

    I think that o be proficient in electronics is like any path, that despite having a great interest, one needs to be immersed in rather than picking up s***** of info here and there while working a totally unrelated day job. still it's all I can do and I am really interested (hifi).

    Jon

  7. #27
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought of the bookshelf analogy too! I guess a guy could apply a printed graphic of fullscale book binders to all that open real estate on the A8 fronts and pose as an intellectual...

    Offhand, I can't think of any reason not to try an M19 XO on your A8s. 1200Hz works for the horn, and the HF EQ and controls would be handy too. Might be a keeper. Let us know.

    Lots of options for active XOs, but consider once you get one you'll likely be playing with it in various roles, so look for versatility. Features you don't think you need now might just come in real handy later. You can justify a few extra bucks just knowing you won't be buying (m)any more passive XOs or parts to build them. forums

  8. #28
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jon, the easiest way to gain some 'ooomph' from your A8s is to let the room help as GM mentioned, by scooting them back to a wall or in the corners if the room layout allows.

    The only A8s I've heard in a home were in a doctor's study, against a wall that was otherwise lined with full bookshelves. Admittedly I was already impressed with the surroundings (and out of my own), the Cor-r-rinthian leather upholstry and high-$ scotch had me very comfortable, but those old theater boxes sounded mighty fine to me.

    I'm still glad I didn't marry his daughter though. forums

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.